Friday, June 18, 2010

It's 5.30am...

... and I am sitting at the computer. I have been awake since 2am, going slightly mad.

Is there anything more infuriating than not being able to get back to sleep? I woke to feed T at 2am and simply couldn't get back to sleep. I took a valerian. Nothing. I got up at 3.30am, had a Milo and read for half an hour. Didn't work. 4am ticked by, 4.30, 5, until I got up a few minutes ago.

So now I have to spend one of my precious daycare days dead on my legs. I have a feature to hand in next week, so I need to get my head around the finer points of selecting an airconditioner on four hours of sleep. Oh and look after a baby as well.

This state of not being able to get back to sleep in the middle of the night has been happening at least once or twice a week for a while now. I kind of expect it (which could be part of the problem).

But what perplexes me is that I don't feel stressed, there's nothing all that major going on in my life. I exercise almost every day (this does help, definitely). So I end up just laying there replaying the day's conversations and thinking 'OK, I'll fall asleep any minute now.'

It is driving me a little bit mad. Then I start to wonder, would it be selfish to wean T just so I can get some decent sleep???!!! She is able to sleep through, but wakes in the night for a feed most nights. Probably just likes to. So technically I should be so damn tired and ready to crash back to sleep.

Argh. Frustration!!

2 comments:

Mary said...

I cannot function on less than 8 hours sleep - your sleeping situation would dement me!

And I think in your heart you have already made the decision about weaning the baby of those night time feeds...

Enjoy the day time snuggles/feeds...

Stomper Girl said...

My maternal nurse was firmly of the opinion that nourishment-wise, babies don't need a midnight snack after about 6 months, and that they were using it a re-settler instead of settling themselves. If that helps. Every maternal nurse say ssoemthing different though! You have to choose your own path.