Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My favourite U2 lines ... well, some of them

Let's do this chronologically, shall we?

An Cat Dubh - Boy
Yes, and I know the truth about you.
For me, this lyric was proof that Bono was in some way otherworldly and that, yes, he did indeed know the truth about me.

October - October
October and kingdoms rise
And kingdoms fall
But you go on

Beautiful. Pure and beautiful. There is so much to love on this album though - it was my fave for a long time.

Rejoice - October
And what am I to do?
Just tell me what am I supposed to say?
I can't change the world
But I can change the world in me
Rejoice.
Rejoice.

I still find these words powerful.

The Refugee - War
In the evening
She is waiting
Waiting for her man to come
And take her by her hand
And take her to this promised land.

I loved The Refugee for its heavy drums, but I dig these lyrics too.

Drowning Man - War
Take my hand
You know I'll be there
If you can
I'll cross the sky for your love.
For I have promised
For to be with you tonight
And for the time that will come.

Gulp. Teary just reading this. It's the intensity of Bono's delivery that gets me every time...

Promenade - The Unforgettable Fire
And I, like a firework, explode.
Roman candle, lightning, lights up the sky.
In cracked streets, trample underfoot.
Side-step, sidewalk.
I see you stare into space.
Have I got closer now, behind the face?
Oh, tell me, Cherry you dance with me
Turn me around tonight
Up through the spiral staircase to the higher ground.

Exquisite.

A Sort of Homecoming - The Unforgettable Fire
And you know it's time to go
Through the sleet and driving snow
Across the fields of mourning to a light that's in the distance.

The Unforgettable Fire remains my favourite U2 album. I adore its quiet beauty. And with this as its opening lines it probably will always remain at the top of my pops...

Running to Stand Still - The Joshua Tree
And so she woke up
Woke up from where she was lyin' still.

The Joshua Tree is a technically masterful album and I LOVE it, but it's not in my top three. This song, however, gives me shivers every time.

Trip Through Your Wires - The Joshua Tree
You, I'm waiting for you
You, you set my desire
I trip through your wires.

Passion perfectly expressed.

Hawkmoon 269 - Rattle & Hum
Like a rhythm unbroken
Like drums in the night
Like sweet soul music
Like sunlight
I need your love.

An underrated song - but another that I will love forever.

Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around The World - Achtung Baby
Sunrise like a nose-bleed, your head hurts and you can't breathe
You been tryin' to throw your arms around the world.
How far are you gonna go before you lose your way back home
You been tryin' to throw your arms around the world.

The entire album is sensational, but this ... this is genius. And live? Blows me away.

Stay - Zooropa
And, if you listen, I can't call.
And, if you jump, you just might fall.
And, if you shout, I'll only hear you.
If I could stay, then the night would give you up.
Stay, and the day would keep its trust.
Stay with the demons you drowned.
Stay with the spirit I found.
Stay, and the night would be enough.

A pretty song.

Do You Feel Loved - Pop
Take the colours of my imagination
Take the scent hanging in the air
Take this tangle of a conversation
Turn it into your own prayer.
With my fingers as you want them
With my nails under your hide
With my teeth at your back
And my tongue to tell you the sweetest lies.

Having said The Unforgettable Fire is my favourite album, I'm realising Pop runs a very, very close second. Equal first, even.
God, I LOVE this song.
I could listen to it over and over and over...

If You Wear That Velvet Dress - Pop
Tonight, the moon is playing tricks again
I'm feeling seasick again.
The whole world could just dissolve
Into a glass of water.

Sheer loveliness. Unbelievable live.

Stuck In a Moment - All That You Can't Leave Behind
I will not forsake, the colours that you bring
But the nights you filled with fireworks
They left you with nothing
I am still enchanted by the light you brought to me
I still listen through your ears, and through your eyes I can see

Oh Bono... swoon.

Vertigo - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
Your love is teaching me how
How to kneel

Succinctly spiritual. What else is there to say? This cannot be bettered.

Miracle Drug - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
The songs are in your eyes
I see them when you smile
I’ve had enough I’m not giving up
On a miracle drug
Of science and the human heart
There is no limit
There is no failure here sweetheart
Just when you quit…
I am you and you are mine
Love makes nonsense of space
And time… will disappear
Love and logic keep us clear

Brings tears to the eyes every single time I hear it. Incredible.

Right. I'm off to put a couple of songs on before the little tacker wakes and demands The Wiggles...

1 comment:

Melody said...

Oh you are really enjoying U2 and reliving those memories aren't you? Good for you!!

I have to say, my Monet was *always* listening to 'her' CDs (Hi-5) but things have changed around here. She is currently playing in her room listening to a Madonna Mix CD I made especially for her. It makes a nice change. However, once I get bored of hearing those songs, I think I'll move her onto Blur... Try it, it may just work!