Sunday, November 4, 2007

Life with a toddler sure can be interesting

There was a time when I used enjoy going out and shopping for new clothes. That time has passed. And the reason it has passed is I now pretty much always have a two-year-old in tow. He is a well-behaved little tot most of the time, but I challenge anyone to find me a toddler that enjoys sitting in the stroller while their mum browses the racks for bargains. Nope, they don't exist.
The ridiculousness of shopping with a kid was brought home to me last week when I was looking for a pair of new shorts for summer. All my old ones are now far too big (yay!), so I was looking for a cheap, basic pair. I was looking in a chain store, so that made things a bit easier - they had a good range of cheap and basic.
I think it could have been the moment when E hurled his ball (which he'd insisted on taking into the shops with him) under the checkout, or perhaps the moment when he managed to almost contort himself right out of the stroller straps (howling all the while) when I snapped. I had to admit defeat: size 12, khaki, affordable. Right, that'll have to do. Straight through the checkout, straight home.
So I get home, put E to bed for nap and empty my shopping bag. I put on said shorts only to find ... I had bought a skirt. Yes, that's right, a skirt.
I suppose I should be kind of grateful (can you spot the silver lining yet?) because it would never have occurred to me to buy a short skirt (not quite sure why). But I like it. Thank you, Ewan ... I think.

No comments: