Sunday, August 21, 2011

Booook Week

It's our first Book Week.

Now, I remember Book Week from when I was at school and I remember dressing up ... as Bo Peep or some character from a nursery rhyme.

These days it seems there is a theme. We ignored this.

There is a unspoken rule that you oughta be sewing something. We ignored this.




May I present the The Pirate from, er, Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs or Captain Yellowbelly. Etc. I figured there were plenty of pirates in kids' books.

So to achieve this stylish look I:

* pinched a shirt from Shaun's wardrobe (shhhh!) and cut it into ragged edges at the bottom. Then I used safety pins to tighten the cuffs and create a piratey 'puff'.

* rummaged round the shed and found a daggy too-big hand-me-down fleecy jumper which I cut the arms out of and made into a pirate vest (OK, imagination required)

* picked up some $2/m skull and crossbone fabric from Marrickville for a sash/belt and bandanna (whatever)

* I hand-stitched a patch onto an old pair of jeans. Right after I burnt the **** out of my iron by trying to put on a synthetic patch with hemming tape (stupid, I know)

Voila, pirate. Kind of!

Tick - job done.

I can't take any credit for the idea though - it came from my sister, who is amazing at all the craft and sewing things that I've never mastered. Lucky I have her around for advice, that's all I can say!

No comments: