Monday, October 11, 2010

Eat, Pray, Loved it



It amazes me just how strong a reaction people (read: women) seem to have to the book Eat, Pray, Love. It seems you either love it or you hate it, there's no middle ground. I loved it.

Yes, I know it is self-indulgent. Yes, I know it's not ideal that she ends up finding her happiness in another bloke ... but it's one woman's (pretty incredible) personal story and I think she tells it beautifully.

And so it was with a little trepidation that I saw the movie yesterday - would its makers do the book justice? I think that, on the whole, they did. My biggest criticism of the film is that at the beginning the husband and boyfriend don't seem all that unlikable. In the book you know she heads off onto her journey from a point of despair; the film didn't really make that so clear, I thought.

Anyhow. Beautiful scenery, gorgeous actors, Julia Roberts at her best - what's not to love?

1 comment:

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

I am just about to pick the book up from the library.
Thanks for sharing your review ...then I off to see the movie after I finish it.