Friday, August 21, 2009

The waiting

This waiting business really is doing my head in.

And I'm not sure why - after all, my due date is next Friday, yet still I feel like I am going slightly mad, always thinking "ooh, is that a contraction?", "maybe tomorrow is the big day?".

There are probably a couple of reasons for this. Firstly, my little boy was born at 36 weeks. Because of this, I have had the hospital bags packed since 35 weeks. They are beginning to gather dust!

Also, I'm one of those people who often gets caught up in superstitions, signs from the universe etc, etc. One of the things that we have going on in our family is that almost all of us are born on someone else's birthday. And certainly E arrived on my cousin's birthday.

Today is my Nan's birthday. So naturally I have been over-aware of every twinge and ache. Nothin'.

But that's OK because I know that Monday was the date E was due (so kind of a birthday!) and the 26th is my brother's birthday. Oh, and if Little One arrives on the 28th it will be making an appearance on its own due date. Now wouldn't that be something?!

The phone calls, text messages etc saying "so have you had this baby yet?" are picking up in number ... which is a tad frustrating!

In fact, frustration is a bit of a dominant theme over here. Yesterday and today E has been at preschool and so I have had what are probably the last few days of PEACE to myself. You think I have been able to savour and enjoy them?

No. I have been grumpy, frustrated with everything and crying my eyes out. For no reason at all. I guess it's like a mega dose of PMT - I figure I am broiling in some pretty toxic hormonal soup at present ... and it's not pleasant.

The more teary and grumpy I get the angrier I get at myself for not "making the most" of this time.

Thinking logically, the longer this baby stays in the better: more chance for me to get some sleep; a couple more days of (relative) peace with just one kid, not a kid and a newborn.

But there's some part deep within me that says "enough - let's do this SOON" ... (possibly the part of me that doesn't want a caesar!).

3 comments:

KPB said...

Oscar arrived at 35 weeks.

Felix? 10.days.late. and had to be induced.

I know. So helpful.

Start eating foods which get you moving - if you know what I mean. For some people it's spicy food, for others its things like pineapple - so whatever makes your bowels move, start consuming in vast quantities.

That and the old nipple stimulation and some good physical exertion. Nothing like a big walk to exhaust you and therefore bring on labour when all you want is a good lie down.

And well, you and Sean could also get it on, that's meant to do the trick. To this day Chef talks about the halcyon days of the final weeks of Felix's pregnancy, when he got more action than in the preceding year. Me? I was just mightily pissed off because all I got was more back ache, pelvic pain and no baby.

Oi.

Unknown said...

oh sarah, i can empathise with you!!
I was over carrying talen at 36 weeks, then my previous c section scar felt weak, i made the call to have him at 38 wks as it just didn't feel right, when i was whisked off for my 2nd c section, i was warned that there was a 1 in 200 chance of his lungs failing.... well you know what happened next, but they did tell me that my gut instinct was correct, the area around my previous scar was stretched very thin, i had made the right call and after 2 weeks my son came home.
i have heard raspberry leaf tea, gets things started, as well as a bit of action. S/he will make their grand entrance soon.......then its all systems go

Melody said...

I'm off to buy some raspberry tea! *heehee*

I've had my bag (& the baby bag) packed since about 30 weeks!!

At my appointment today my Dr said 'I'll see you next week, or maybe before that..." all said with a cheeky grin. He said baby is in right possie to bring on labour, though I am 2 and a bit weeks off from 40 weeks.

The light at the end of the tunnel is getting a little brighter... Hope you're doing okay.